Summit Bechtel Reserve
The Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve – THE SUMMIT – is the permanent site of the National Scout Jamboree and home to the Boy Scouts of America’s newest national high adventure base. THE SUMMIT occupies 10,600 acres in West Virginia’s New River Gorge region - a world renowned adventure sports destination, especially known for its world class climbing rock and monster whitewater.
SUMMIT HIGH ADVENTURE PROGRAM
The inaugural SUMMIT HIGH ADVENTURE BASE programs will open in June 2014. Activities will revolve around four program tracks. In addition to the unique focus provided by each program track, participants will experience activities centered on our core mission areas – adventure, sustainability, leadership and service.
Each adventure lasts 7 days with crews arriving each day. Each program track includes time at the CHRISTEN HIGH ADVENTURE BASE located at THE SUMMIT as well as one to three nights at outpost camps at THE SUMMIT or in the New River Gorge area.
THE SUMMIT will provide all food, tents, cots and program equipment. Crew will provide sleeping bags and other personal gear.
For the 2014 summer season, THE SUMMIT will offer four crew-based programs. Crews consist of 7 to 12 people with the majority of youth participants.
1. THE RIVER. Following your arrival at the SUMMIT, you will spend a few days at CHRISTEN HIGH ADVENTURE BASE while our staff assesses your kayaking skills and prepares you to meet the challenges of the NEW RIVER. Then you will head to the NEW RIVER GORGE for three days of river paddling on one of the oldest rivers in the world. During your first two days in kayaks, you will have periods of quiet water interspersed with Class I to III rapids. You will spend each night at one of our river camps. Then you will conclude your river trip with a heart-pounding raft run on the Lower New that includes Class III to V rapids. Participants must be good swimmers as evidenced by passing the BSA Swim Test.
2. HELMETS & HARNESSES leverages the unique capabilities of the SUMMIT together with the natural splendor of the NEW RIVER GORGE region. Participants will test their mettle on our six outstanding challenge courses. You will soar through the trees on the SUMMIT canopy tours. Of course, you cannot come to a world class climbing region without climbing a few rocks too! The program includes climbing skill building and an overnight climbing experience in the NEW RIVER GORGE area (site depending on crew skill level). Participants should be comfortable with heights. All participants must weigh a minimum of 50 lbs. and a maximum of 250 lbs. Participants under 50 lbs. or over 250 lbs. cannot participate regardless of height.
3. THE MARKSMAN brings together diverse shooting resources to offer shooters the chance to both improve their skills in traditional shooting disciplines as well as try some new sports. Pistol shooting, rifle shooting (.22, .223 and .308) depending on demonstrated skill levels), sporting clays and trap are part of our shooting programs. In addition to traditional target archery, the SUMMIT offers participants the chance to experience our 18-station 3D target course as well learn the sport of sporting arrows. Participants will spend several nights camped at the Outpost Camp new MAYHEM MOUNTAIN.
4. WHEELS takes advantage of 37 miles of top-notch downhill and cross country mountain biking trails at THE SUMMIT as well as the lop trails built by the Order of the Arrow at the arrowhead trails in the NEW RIVER GORGE. This program helps youth develop mountain biking skills on TH SUMMIT cross-country tracks at LOW GEAR and the ARROWHEAD TRAILS in preparation for the heart-pounding downhill from HIGH GEAR. During this program, participants will also have the opportunity to test their skills at MAYHEM MOUNTAIN on our world-class BMX tracks, skateboard parks and mountain boarding courses.
2014 Council Contingent
The Council has requested a Council Contingent for August of 2014. Dates will be available in Feb. 2013. The Westmoreland-Fayette Council will be sending a Council contingent to The Summit in 2014. Because of the tremendous demand for Summit expeditions local troops will not be able to get reservation.
We will have a crew for each of the four programs. A crew consists of 7-12 people with at least 2 adults in each crew.
Individuals or Troops may register as a part of the 48 spaces in four crews in the Council Contingent we have for 2014. Contact Jack Waite at the Council Service Center, 724-837-1630 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Cost for each participant will vary by program: The cost includes the seven day adventure, transportation and recognition items.
The River: $745.00
Helmets & Harnesses: $675
The Marksman: $815
SUMMIT BECHTEL RESERVE RESERVATION PROCEDURES 2014
Click HERE for a Reservation Form
Individuals or Troops that wish to attend Philmont as part of the Council contingent in the year 2014 need to do the following:
1. Notify Jack Waite at the Council Service Center as soon as possible.
2. Confirm the size of the group with a $100 per person non-refundable deposit as soon as possible. Complete the Reservation form printed below
Crews will be formed with 12 persons including a minimum of 2 (preferably 3) adults.